I have done the unthinkable thing today.... strict discipline!
On what matter you may ask.
Riley, the picky eater, has begun his "I will not eat anything" phase.
Despite trying different types, colours, tastes, or even origins of food today.
I lost the "I'll not tolerate anything else, if you don't finish your food" battle.
Riley simply smelled his food, made a face, and slide off his chair.
All the while, shaking his head......at me!
OK, this is fine. I've told myself.
Then, I instructed after him. "If you don't eat your food now, you won't be having any milk, or food for the night."
Riley, the smart bum. Turned towards me, and said "OK!"
Alright then! The matter is settle.
However, within half an hour. Riley came running to me. "mama, milk!"
I looked down at him, and said "you've agreed, no dinner, no milk"
I made my position firm and with my TWO feet on the ground too.
Upon hearing my reply.
Drama erupted throughout the house......
Despite Riley's relentless begging, and crying.
Riley cried and begged from upstairs to downstairs.
from the bathroom to his bedroom.
from wondering aimlessly in his room to propping himself on his bed.
All the while, hoping that his mom would have a change of heart.
I stood firmly with my feet on the ground.
My unthinkable strict discipline to date.
The silent treatment.
Which is so frowned upon by my mentors and worldwide experts.
I choose to simply ignore his tantrums.
Instead of giving in. I went straight to my room, crawled into my bed, and got into my reading position.
Rethinking, what have I done tonight?
Seriously, giving my son the silent treatment?
Unable to fathom my parenting behaviour....
I turned to experts.
My most valuable possession.
A book called....
"Before your kids drive you crazy....read this"
By: Nigel Latta
After frantically flipping through the pages....
With a long sigh....I layed back into my bed, smiling.
I am a good parent.
I AM A GOOD PARENT!
OK......maybe not so much on the silent treatment part....
No comments:
Post a Comment